Wyoming’s first state prison was located in Rawlins, Wyo., and housed inmates for 80 years, beginning in 1901. In 1988, a joint powers board turned the abandoned building into a museum and renamed it the Wyoming Frontier Prison. Visitors today can tour the cells and see the grounds where 13,500 prisoners, including 11 women, served time.
Outlaws & Crime
Browse Articles about Outlaws & Crime
|Sparks, Kliss, Cokeville bombing survivor oral history||Wyoming State Archives|
|Spring Creek Raid||John W. Davis|
|Starkweather, Charles||Lesley Wischmann|
|State Prison, Wyoming’s First||Lori Van Pelt|
|Teapot Dome Scandal, The||Phil Roberts|
|Teapot Dome, U.S. Marines and||Carolynne Harris|
|U.S. Marines invade Teapot Dome||Carolynne Harris|
|Walker, Glenna, Cokeville survivor oral history||Wyoming State Archives|
|Walker, Kevin, Cokeville survivor oral history||Wyoming State Archives|
|Warden, George Francis (Big Nose George)||Lori Van Pelt|
Outlaws & Crime
Encyclopedia | What’s now Crook County, Wyo., was crossed by Custer in 1874 on his expedition to the Black Hills, the spark that led to the final struggles of the Indian wars on the northern plains. Ranchers a few years later brought in cattle and later, sheep, and the county was organized in 1885, with its county seat at Sundance. Harry Longabaugh, a.k.a. the Sundance Kid, spent 18 months in jail there. Coal deposits were exploited in the 1890s and shipped by rail to gold smelters in nearby Lead and Deadwood, So. Dak. Devils Tower National Monument, established in 1906 as the first national monument in the United States and still a sacred place for the Sioux, is located in Crook County. Agriculture, mining and timbering still play significant roles in its economy.
Encyclopedia | Founded in 1868, the short-lived town of Carbon provided crucial coal supplies for the Union Pacific Railroad. Its rough reputation was boosted in 1881, when a mob of miners pulled Dutch Charley Burris, accused of the murder of a popular lawman, from a train and hanged him from a telegraph pole. Many Finnish men worked in the coal mines until 1902, when the mines closed. Today, there are only a few ruins to mark the site, but the Carbon Cemetery has been recently refurbished and is still being used.
Encyclopedia | Bill Carlisle robbed passengers on the Union Pacific Railroad three times in 1916 and once more in 1919, after escaping from the state penitentiary in a box of shirts. In 1936 he was paroled and opened a café and tourist court in Laramie, and later wrote a book about his remarkable life.