Independence Rock is a large granite dome where Indians and pioneers left their marks over the centuries and where Father De Smet carved his name in 1840. The Wyoming Knights of Columbus dedicated a plaque honoring Father De Smet at the Rock on July 4, 1930. It lies on the southeast side of Wyoming Highway 220, about 55 miles southwest of Casper and 20 miles northeast of Muddy Gap. It’s a state rest area, open all year, with restrooms, picnic grounds, telephone, drinking water, exhibits on the historic trails, and trailer sanitary station.
There is a footpath all the way around the rock, and climbing on the rock is permitted. High winds are likely at the top at all times of year.
For more information visit http://www.wyomingtourism.org/overview/Independence-Rock-State-Historic-Site/3337 or call (307) 577-5150.