The Piedmont Charcoal Kilns southwest of Evanston, Wyo. were built in 1869 to supply charcoal primarily to Utah mining and smelting operations. The town of Piedmont’s location—on the Union Pacific Railroad but near a ready timber supply in the Uinta Mountains—made it a logical spot for the industry. Most of the charcoal was shipped to the Salt Lake valley, and some to Fort Bridger for use in blacksmith forges and heating stoves. Piedmont was a railroad station on the Union Pacific line. Three of the original five kilns remain standing. The site is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Browse Articles about Transportation
|Prospect Hill, Oregon Trail site of||WyoHistory.org|
|Railroad arrives in Laramie||Tom Rea|
|Red Buttes, Oregon Trail landmark||WyoHistory.org|
|Register Cliff||WyomingHeritage.org, Wyoming State Historic Preservation Office|
|Reshaw's Bridge||Jefferson Glass|
|Rock Avenue, Oregon Trail site of||WyoHistory.org|
|Rock Springs Massacre||Tom Rea|
|Roosevelt, Theodore visits Wyoming in 1903 Visit||Rebecca Hein|
|Ryan Hill, Oregon Trail site of||WyoHistory.org|
A stagecoach station established in 1856 at the confluence of the Ham’s and Black’s Fork Rivers west of Green River lay on long-distance travel routes used earlier by Indians, fur trappers and emigrants. In 1868 the Union Pacific Railroad established a station nearby, and renamed the place Granger. The site of the old stage station and one acre of land were donated to the state of Wyoming in 1930 to honor the early travelers.
In 1869, Fort Fred Steele was built by the U.S. Army to protect workers on the advancing transcontinental railroad at the spot where the rails crossed the North Platte River. The fort was closed in 1886, and the site, containing foundations of the original buildings, was much later acquired by the state.
Green River, Wyo., on its namesake river and on the Union Pacific Railroad, began as a stage station. After the U.P. relocated switching and roundhouse operations there in the early 1870s, the Green River rail yard became one of the busiest in the nation. Since the early 1900s, this county seat of Sweetwater County has weathered many booms and busts of nearby oil, gas and trona development, with the railroad and county government steadying its economy all the while.