Tracing its roots to a work camp for men digging irrigation ditches early in the 20th century, Powell, Wyoming, in northern Park County, remains an agricultural hub. Its economy has been boosted over the last century, however, by nearby coal mines and oil wells, and by public schools, a hospital and a community college, the last three of which are now the town’s largest employers. In 1994, Powell was one of 10 municipalities named an All-America City by the National Civic League.
Cities, Towns & Counties
Browse Articles about Cities, Towns & Counties
|Sellett, Mike, Jackson Hole News publisher||Kerry Drake|
|Sheridan County Coal Camps||Kevin Knapp|
|Sheridan County, Wyoming||Brodie Farquhar|
|Sheridan, Wyoming||Gregory Nickerson|
|South Pass City||WyomingHeritage.org, Wyoming State Historic Preservation Office|
|South Pass Gold Rush||Will Bagley|
|Stagecoach and Mail Road, Rawlins to Fort Washakie||WyoHistory.org, J. Tom Davis|
|Stewardess training, Cheyenne||Michael Kassel, Starley Talbott|
|Sublette County, Wyoming||Ann Chambers Noble|
|Sweetwater County, Wyoming||Dudley Gardner|
Cities, Towns & Counties
The Piedmont Charcoal Kilns southwest of Evanston, Wyo. were built in 1869 to supply charcoal primarily to Utah mining and smelting operations. The town of Piedmont’s location—on the Union Pacific Railroad but near a ready timber supply in the Uinta Mountains—made it a logical spot for the industry. Most of the charcoal was shipped to the Salt Lake valley, and some to Fort Bridger for use in blacksmith forges and heating stoves. Piedmont was a railroad station on the Union Pacific line. Three of the original five kilns remain standing. The site is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The JC Penney Company, long among the world’s largest department store chains, traces its roots to a one-room shop in a small Wyoming coal-mining town at the turn of the last century. Penney’s career in Wyoming lasted just a decade, but in 1902, Wyoming provided exactly what young Penney needed to found a chain that has survived, as of 2011, for 109 years.
The Carbon cemetery has been in use since 1868, when the town of Carbon was founded next to coal mines on the Union Pacific Railroad. The town has long been a ghost town, but interest in the cemetery revived in 2002, when a local association began refurbishing it and researching the lives of the people buried there.
Cody, Wyoming, was founded in 1896 by investors including Buffalo Bill Cody who had high hopes for prosperity thanks to local irrigation, great scenery, and nearby Yellowstone National Park. Prosperity finally arrived early in the 20th century with the Burlington Railroad and, eight miles away, the federally financed Buffalo Bill Dam. Cody remains one of Wyoming’s premier tourist towns.