Established by mountain men Jim Bridger and Louis Vasquez in 1843, Fort Bridger was an important rest and re-supply spot for emigrants bound to Utah, California and Oregon. Mormons acquired the site in the mid-1850s, and burned it in 1857 as the U.S. Army approached during the bloodless Utah War. The following year the Army took over, and garrisoned the fort until 1890. Today it is a state historic site.
Browse Articles about Conflict
|Sellett, Mike, Jackson Hole News publisher||Kerry Drake|
|Shepard, Matthew, Legacy of||Jason Marsden|
|Shepard, Matthew, Murder of||Jason Marsden|
|Shoshone Reservation, 1905 Land Cession Agreement||WyoHistory.org|
|Siberia, 2nd Lt. Paul Kendall’s service in, 1919-1920||Douglas R. Cubbison|
|Solier, C.H., Wyoming State Hospital superintendent||Rebecca Hein|
|Spotted Tail, Brule Lakota chief||Tom Rea|
|Spring Creek Raid||John W. Davis|
|Sullivan, Mike, U.S. ambassador to Ireland, oral history||Tom Rea|
The Connor Battlefield is a park on Tongue River in Ranchester, Wyo., marking the spot where Brig. Gen. Patrick Connor and about 475 U.S. troops and Pawnee scouts in August 1865 attacked a village of 500 Arapaho under the leadership of Black Bear and Old David. The Arapaho suffered 33 killed, and the troops burned their lodges and drove off most of the horse herd. Today the park offers picnic grounds, a campground and a monument to the event.