Register Cliff, near present Guernsey, Wyo., is one of three large “registers of the desert” in Wyoming where Oregon-, California- and Utah-bound emigrants carved their names on rock. Many of the inscriptions are from the peak years of Oregon Trail travel in the 1840s and 1850s. The area close to Register Cliff was the first night’s camp west of Fort Laramie. Today, this site is a National Historic Site.
Browse Articles about Transportation
|Tie Flume, Warm Spring Canyon||Robert G. and Elizabeth L. Rosenberg|
|Tongue River Tie Flume||Rebecca Hein|
|Torrey, Col. Jay L.||Phil Roberts|
|Torrey’s Rough Riders||Phil Roberts|
|Trabing, August and Charles, freighters in Wyoming Territory||Nancy Trabing Mickelson|
|Trails across Wyoming: The Oregon, Mormon Pioneer and California Routes||Terry A. Del Bene|
|Train wreck, Cole Creek||Lori Van Pelt|
|Transcontinental motor convoy, 1919||Lori Van Pelt|
|U.S. Airmail in Wyoming||Steve Wolff|
|Union Pacific in Wyoming, The||Gregory Nickerson|
Point of Rocks Stage Station, 25 miles east of present Rock Springs, Wyo., was built in 1862 by the Overland Stage Company. The station was attacked and burned at least once by Indians, and stagecoach passengers were supposedly robbed and murdered nearby by the notorious outlaw and onetime stage-line superintendent Jack Slade. Point of Rocks Stage Station has been a school, freight station, store, ranch headquarters and a home. It is one of the only stage stations remaining intact on the Overland Trail. This site is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Piedmont Charcoal Kilns southwest of Evanston, Wyo. were built in 1869 to supply charcoal primarily to Utah mining and smelting operations. The town of Piedmont’s location—on the Union Pacific Railroad but near a ready timber supply in the Uinta Mountains—made it a logical spot for the industry. Most of the charcoal was shipped to the Salt Lake valley, and some to Fort Bridger for use in blacksmith forges and heating stoves. Piedmont was a railroad station on the Union Pacific line. Three of the original five kilns remain standing. The site is on the National Register of Historic Places.
In 1869, Fort Fred Steele was built by the U.S. Army to protect workers on the advancing transcontinental railroad at the spot where the rails crossed the North Platte River. The fort was closed in 1886, and the site, containing foundations of the original buildings, was much later acquired by the state.