The Rock Springs Coal sign, the Sweetwater County Miner’s Memorial, the old Rock Springs U.P. Depot, which is now refurbished with a restaurant, and an authentic U.P. caboose all can be found at or near South Main Street, within a block of the Rock Springs Historical Museum.
Bob Nelson of the museum notes that the Rock Springs Coal sign has moved several times over the years. Around 1929, as shown here, it was erected at what was then the C street crossing of the UP tracks. Later the sign was moved about a mile north, near the intersection of Elk and North Center Street, and changed to read “Home of Western Wyoming College – Welcome.” Later it was moved to college hill north of downtown, after which it was taken down and finally dumped in a field to be used for scrap. A local citizen formed a group that restored and installed the sign back at its original location, where it remains.