WyoHistory.org

The Online Encyclopedia of Wyoming History

Historic Cody Mural and Museum

Historic Cody Mural and Museum

Visitors interested in the history of religions in the West will also want to see the Historic Cody Mural and Museum on 17th Street just north of downtown. Completed by artist Edward Grigware in 1951 and renovated in 2015, the mural is on a 36-foot-diameter domed ceiling in a Mormon chapel, and tells the story of the early years of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Other exhibits commemorate Mormon pioneers from Utah and Idaho who came to the northern Bighorn Basin in the early 1900s. Guests will also enjoy seeing a one-of-a-kind display of miniature furniture created by Western artist and designer Thomas Molesworth. Built and owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the building remains an active house of worship for area church members. The center is free and open six days a week, Memorial Day through late September. Click here for details.