Here are some questions to ask before you visit Fort Fetterman, while you’re there, and again after you return:
- Who lived at Fort Fetterman?
- Was there ever a wall around Fort Fetterman?
- Who was it named for?
- What was life like at Fort Fetterman for Indian, white and mixed-blood people during the Indian Wars?
- What was the Bozeman Trail? What connection does it have with Wyoming? With Fort Fetterman?
- Why did the U.S. Army build Fort Fetterman?
- What other forts did the Army build on the Bozeman Trail? What were their names and where were they located? Did Fort Fetterman exist at the same time? Was it closed before the others or afterward?
- What was Red Cloud’s War? What connection did it have with Fort Fetterman?
- What river and creek are near Fort Fetterman? Why was its location close to these important?
- What was life like for soldiers at the fort? For their officers? For the officers” wives and families?
- What general made three marches from Fort Fetterman during the Indian Wars? When did he depart the fort, where did he take the troops each time and why? Did any battles result? If so, when and where were they fought? Who won?
- Who could march faster, foot soldiers or horse soldiers? Where did the horse soldiers keep their horses? What did the horses eat?
- When did the army leave? What happened to Fort Fetterman afterwards? What was Fetterman City? Does it still exist?
THERE ARE HUNDREDS of more good questions a person could ask about Fort Fetterman.
SEND US three interesting Fort Fetterman questions of your own. Be sure to identify your school and classroom teacher or note if you are home schooled when you send in questions. Contact email@example.com for information on a 2014-2015 contest for submitting the most questions.