Here are some questions to ask before you visit the site of the Fetterman Fight, while you’re there, and again after you return:
- What was the Fetterman Fight? Why did it occur?
- Why was it called the Fetterman Fight? When did this conflict happen?
- What fort was nearby? How near was it? Why does this matter?
- What was Capt. Fetterman’s duty that day? Did he do what he was supposed to do?
- Other than soldiers and Indians, were there any other people involved in this battle?
- What made this fight different from others that occurred during Red Cloud’s War?
- How long did this fight last?
- Who was killed?
- How many soldiers fought in the battle? How many Indian warriors?
- How long did the fighting last?
- What happened to Commander Carrington after the fight?
- Why do accounts differ as to whether Fetterman followed orders?
- Who was Lt. George Grummond? What role might he have had in the conflict?
THERE ARE HUNDREDS of more good questions a person could ask about the Fetterman Fight.
SEND US three interesting Fetterman Fight questions of your own. Be sure to identify your school and classroom teacher or note if you are home schooled when you send in questions. Contact email@example.com for information on a 2014-2015 contest for submitting the most questions.