Here are some questions to ask before you visit Fort Phil Kearny, while you’re there, and again after you return:
- Who lived at Fort Phil Kearny?
- Was there ever a wall around this fort? What was it made of?
- Is this a good spot for an Army fort? Why or why not?
- What was life like at Fort Phil Kearny for Indian, white and mixed-blood people during the Indian Wars?
- What was the Bozeman Trail? What connection does it have to Fort Phil Kearny? What was the size of this fort in relation to others on the trail?
- Who traveled on the Bozeman Trail and why?
- What famous battles occurred nearby? When did they happen?
- Why was the Bozeman Trail sometimes called “the bloody Bozeman?”
- Who was Red Cloud?
- What was Red Cloud’s War? What connection did it have to Fort Phil Kearny?
- Why was the timber in the nearby mountains important for the fort?
- What connection did the fort have to the transcontinental railroad? How far away from the fort was the railroad?
- What happened to Fort Phil Kearny under the terms of the Fort Laramie Treaty of 1868?
THERE ARE HUNDREDS of more good questions a person could ask about Fort Phil Kearny.
SEND US three interesting Fort Phil Kearny questions of your own. Be sure to identify your school and classroom teacher or note if you are home schooled when you send in questions. Contact email@example.com for information on a 2014-2015 contest for submitting the most questions.