Hanna, Wyo., best known for its coal mines, was founded in 1889 by the Union Pacific Coal Co. as a company town. It has survived mining disasters and a long cycle of booms and busts. The last mines around Hanna closed in the mid-2000s. The town survives today as a bedroom community, with hopes of future mineral development.
Presently volunteers at the Hanna Basin Museum and with the Carbon Cemetery Association, Nancy Anderson and her husband, Victor, have explored Carbon County history for five decades. Nancy has a B.A. in American Studies and an M.A. in English, both from the University of Wyoming.