Wyoming’s primary prisoner-of-war camp during World War II was at Camp Douglas at Douglas, Wyo., in Converse County. It housed up to 2,000 Italian and 3,000 German prisoners from 1943 through 1946, covered a square mile and included 180 buildings. The former officers’ club is now a state historic site. For many years after the war it was a community hall and Odd Fellows clubhouse. Italian prisoners, working from well-known illustrstions by William Henry Jackson, Charles Russell and other artists, painted murals of western scenes that remain on the interior walls today. The building is open Wednesdays through Saturdays from Memorial Day through Labor Day. For hours, directions and more visit the website linked above.